Weekend Projects

It was cloudy and cold this weekend, perfect for working through some weekend projects. N and I went to Brunch at Blue Door off the Armitage brown line stop. The interior is so cute/instagram perfect. N got a classic breakfast, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and hash browns. I got chilaquiles and a latte. 

After brunch and a little window shopping, we went home and I started on my projects. I popped in some headphones to work through all of this. It was very relaxing, and I love the end result of my closet now. I’m excited that I can see all of my clothes on their hangers and that they’re all taken care of and looking their best. 

Made a donation/sell bag of all the clothes that don’t fit/not my style
I ended up filling an entire Trader Joe’s grocery bag with things that I wanted to get rid of. I’m a latecomer to Poshmark, but I’m already addicted to scrolling through all the listings. I love the concept of the app, and am thinking about bidding on a couple items!  

Folded and stored all my summer clothes: Shorts, dresses, skirts, and tops
Did this to make room for my winter gear. We live in a small apartment and N and I split a closet. I hate when my closet rack gets too crowded. It makes everything less visible, harder to get to, and (this sounds silly to say) more stressful to get dressed in the morning. I like when there’s a little bit of space in between each of my hangers, and when everything is organized by color and style. 

Took a razor to my merino wool sweaters and shaved off of all the fuzz and pilling
The fabric shaving took the longest, but the difference is so noticeable! My sweaters look brand new. I just took a cheap BIC razor and pulled the fabric taut, shaving with or sideways to the grain. Looking at the before (left) and after (right) is so satisfying. 
Steamed/ironed all my fall/winter clothes
I realized that a lot of the clothes that I don’t reach for in the morning are blouses that are wrinkly out of the wash and look messy or unkempt. Steaming them breathed new life into these pieces and made thinking of outfits a lot easier. 


Somewhere during the process, I started thinking about long lasting clothes. A lot of what I donated/recycled were clothing that I either did not take care to maintain or clothes that were not built to last (fast fashion). A lot of the pieces that still remain in my closet year after year are easy care, usually made of cotton or wool, denim. Or they’re the nice silk blouses, winter coats, etc, that I dry clean or wash and air dry.  

Comments

Popular Posts