The 5 Piece French Wardrobe


This season, I’ve been starting to think of how I should be adding pieces to my wardrobe. I’ve decided to follow the 5 Piece French Wardrobe methodology. I’m at a place right now where I’m really happy with my current core wardrobe. I never feel like I have nothing to wear. My style, however boring it may be to others, is something that makes me happy. I have wants, but nothing that is urgent anymore. So the idea of only buying 5 pieces a season really appeals to me. To only buy 10 things all year round, 5 for Spring/Summer and 5 for Fall/Winter.

I guess I’m starting off at a good place - I don’t even have 5 things on my list. Here’s what’s on it so far:

Seville tote from Lo & Sons, when there is a sale.
I love Lo & Sons. I love the brand, I love their travel-friendly and versatile designs, and I love the quality-for-price. I want to upgrade from my Longchamp tote, which is nice, but I’d love something nicer/more mature to bring to client meetings. I love the versatility of The Seville, since there’s an option to use two different shells that come with the bag - the saffiano leather one for day to day, and the nylon one for travel. The price point is a little steep for this bag, but I noticed during their winter sale, that it had been knocked down to the high $200s - which is exactly the price point that I’d pay.

Everlane Modern Loafer, April
I’ve had my eyes on this pair of shoes since they came out a year ago. I’ve hesitated to purchase though, since I had heard they ran narrow when they first came out. Now that they’re a bit older, and more well reviewed, I’ve decided that I’d love to add a pair in Olive. My only other pair of flats are my J.Crew factory smoking slippers, which are well loved, so having another pair to switch it up will extend their life a little bit longer!

Everlane Silk Shirt, April as well (for the free shipping on 2+ items)
I was skeptical about how silk could fit into my lifestyle. But after I accidentally washed and dried my Everlane silk tank (with no consequences), I’ve changed my mind. I really like the clean design of this Everlane blouse, especially the front placket to hide the buttons. I also don’t have a long sleeved blouse, and keep thinking to myself in the mornings how I’d enjoy having one to mix up my work silhouettes. I’m undecided on the color for now.

Comments

  1. love this post, your blog is so nice :)

    www.jaya-sanghera.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dabbled a bit with the Five-Piece French Wardrobe idea (more as a thought experiment since a good half of my purchases in the relevant period were still "off-plan," which was what I expected) and I think it's a good way to collect one's thoughts about what one really wants to buy for the next season!

    From one of your other posts, I think you've already seen the Everlane Petra Market tote, which is the bag I use to fill the niche that the Seville tote could fill for you. The Seville is almost certainly much more travel friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Petra market - so beautiful, great leather. But it was a little too large, and lacked a zipper, which is a deal breaker for me! I commute via subway/bus, and travel pretty frequently, so zipper is necessary for me!

      Delete
  3. Yes! Very cool! I am in place now where I am adding approximately 3 items per season, so a little more than you, though I do add the occasional thrift. I find, I REALLY like adding slowly. Good luck with the loafers! I ordered them in two sizes and no luck, but my feet aren't the smallest. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! What size are you, and which sizes did you order? Everlane isn't the greatest with exchanges, haha. It's quite a hassle!

      Delete
  4. Curious to hear your thoughts on the Everlane shoe line. I looked at the pointed toe and thought that it might be too narrow as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to let you know! It'll be a little while haha.

      Delete
  5. I am FOREVER struggling to find a striped shirt like the one above in a plus-size. And I mean struggling..... I just cannot find one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the name of the large tote? It does not look like a Lo & Sons....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts