UNIFORM BREAKDOWN: Anthony Bourdain

I cannot tell you how much Anthony Bourdain I've been watching during my little unpaid vacation before my new job starts (on Monday! Excitement). I've been watching The Layover and it's made me so longing for a vacation. I love Anthony Bourdain and while I was watching, I noticed that his outfits are always comprised of the same pieces of clothing, in different patterns or styles. So I thought it might be cool if I put together a sort of style breakdown on him, and see if I can translate this into something a woman might wear. 

Since he travels a lot, I assume he has the same suitcase packed with the same clothes for most trips that he takes - sort of like Joan Didion. So after hours of intense study on Netflix watching The Layover, here is what I've boiled his travel uniform to.

  • 1 - 2 - 3 collared, button-up shirts
  • 4 - 5 ) well worn jeans
  • 6 ) khakis/chinos
  • 7 ) trench coat
  • 8 ) sunglasses
  • 9 ) watch
  • 10 desert boots

Collared, Button Ups
These are easy to pack, look clean, crisp, and put together. I noticed he rolls the sleeves up all the time on his, for that casual look. Sometimes he also throws a crew neck sweater over top for warmth. Another thing I noticed was that they're usually a washed cotton or oxford cloth type shirt. 1 - 2 - 3 

Well Worn Jeans
Obviously these are just comfortable to travel in. They're sturdier fabric, so durable enough for your carry on and durable enough to stand through multiple wears without washing. 4-5 ) 

Khakis
These are comfortable, in my opinion. I've chosen the feminine version as a cropped pair, so they're more casual, but you still have the option to dress it up. And a third pair of pants in a distinctly different color and style allows you to mix and match your shirts for more outfits. 6 )

Trench Coat
Weather resistant, warm, and a classic staple in a travel wardrobe. 7 )

Sunglasses
So the style I chose was as similar to his as I could find while remaining affordable. Anthony Bourdain is a huge fan of Persol sunglasses, which are ridiculously expensive. Also an essential for sunny days, to wear when you're napping on the plane, and to wear obviously to look cool. 8 )

Watch
His choice of watch is beyond what I could ever afford, but I think I caught a glimpse of a Timex Weekender in one of the episodes. Nevertheless, this is a sturdy and incredibly affordable watch, necessary for catching flights. 9 )

Desert Boots
Anthony Bourdain swears by Clarks Desert Boots - he says they're easy to slip on and off in security, and they're comfortable for walking around in too. These intrigue me, and I really like the look. I'm not sure if I can pull them off, but I think these will go on my list of purchase considerations for next month!  ( 10 )


Comments

  1. Found you through Pret a Porter P :) I just used to get hungry hearing Anthony Bourdain talk, now I'm jealous of his closet too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love him! I'm obsessed with his desert boots. I kind of want a pair for myself, but not sure if I can pull it off!

      Delete
  2. I love all of the Anthony Bourdain shows! His books are fun to read too. (I wish there was more No Reservations on Netflix.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a Timex for Jcrew millitary watch.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just used to get hungry hearing Anthony Bourdain talk, now I'm jealous of his closet too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts