Monday, July 13, 2015

Quality over Quantity

via Pinterest
Lately I've been thinking about my purchases and wants, and how hard it is for me come to grasps with dropping a lot of money on nicer clothing. I think it comes down to several things - 1. I'm still used to being on a college student/entry level worker's budget. 2. I really don't love anything enough to drop major cash on it. 3. I know that I cannot bring myself to dry clean nicer items, nor do I want to handwash things - so that means silk is out.

For example, I bought a gorgeous silk tank from everlane that just sits in my closet because I don't want to get it dirty or worn. To be fair, I knew this would happen - I hate handwashing and I hate dry cleaning. I want my clothes to be low maintenance - wash and wear, easy. There are things that I like to spend money on in my wardrobe - shoes, bags, coats.

But I think I want to extend that to the rest of my wardrobe as well. I'm not sure how to approach this without getting sticker shock every time I have my eye on something. Waiting a while doesn't work, because I usually spend that time either convincing myself that I don't actually want it, or I find a cheaper version of that item and compromise on looks or quality. The latter is a trap I fall into all the time.

So I think in the coming weeks - I'll think long and hard about what I'd like to add to my closet, what gaps there are that need filling, and what items I'd like to upgrade because I wear them to death. That also means that I need to reign in my temptations to deviate away from this plan. No more impulse buys from Old Navy (despite my love for their pieces).
SHARE:

8 comments:

  1. feed good about what you spend your money on
    I used to handwash my wool sweaters, but **aint nobody got time for that** so now I wash them cold, delicate cycle, with wool shampoo. Anyway you can try the same thing with your silks, to wash them on cold delicate in one of those mesh lingerie bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really resonates with me - and I guess I can say I feel terrible spending money in the moment, but then can later reflect and appreciate the quality that I'm buying into.

      Delete
  2. Hmm I do try to buy things in limited quantities, but I can't bring myself to spend more than certain amounts on pieces of clothing yet, cause I know my taste will probably change in about a year.

    Oh man silk shirts were another "wardrobe staple" trap I fell into. I like the look of them but I never want to wear mine cause I'm afraid of getting them dirty. I think for a similar drapeyness I'll go for rayon from now on, even though it gets a bit wrinkly - at least I can still machine wash it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh staple traps! You and I are one in the same. I think I'm going to take what Kristina said to heart - clothes are made for wearing. I'm going to start wearing mine more often and think about it in a cost per wear point of view.

      Delete
  3. I can relate to sticker shock and the mental agony of convincing yourself for or against an item. I can also relate to items laying fallow in the closet: I bought a Black Crane dress on sale earlier this year thinking it would be a summer staple, well--it's a little too warm to wear actually (rayon-wool blend + long long skirt ahh!!), and is stuck in my closet. I'm trying to remember that clothes are for wearing, not for storing...hope that helps you re-frame your Everlane silk tank. If it rips or stains while you're using it, c'est la vie, IMO.

    As for "lots of money" on "nicer" clothing: in my limited research and experience, a more expensive version of an item does not necessarily mean better fit or quality. Actually, you just sparked a blog post for me--hopefully I get my thoughts out coherently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch for your post! I'm definitely taking what you say here to heart - clothes are for wearing!

      And of course - I find that some people fall into the trap of expensive = higher quality. That's something that I definitely watch for. There's nothing worse than spending a lot of money and having the item not live up to its expectations.

      Delete
  4. I also don't wear my silk topics as much as I should, given how many I own.

    I can definitely relate to the mental challenges of wrapping my head around spending more on "nicer" clothing items. I'm admittedly a bit more spend-y than most students would be already, but I'm still used to most of my wardrobe being extra-percent-off-sale Loft and Ann Taylor stuff. I always feel like the next tier up (in terms of either quality or price) is so much higher, price-wise, that I can't see myself "upgrading" most of my wardrobe or shopping that way. Even if I'm being careful about my larger budget, there must be better things I could do with the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to put some thought into what I really would like nicer versions of, and inspect quality in person before purchasing. And I agree - I always rationalize myself out of big spendy clothing purchases. I'd rather go out to eat somewhere nice or buy furniture, haha.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig