Recent Wardrobe Additions, Trunk Club

Have you ever used Trunk Club or Stitch Fix? There are bunch of these ~styling~ services out there, but these 2 companies seem to be the most popular. I tried out Trunk Club recently, choosing them since they were associated with Nordstrom. They have a 'Clubhouse' location in Chicago, which is this very fancy place north of the Merchandise Mart. Open bar, little fitting rooms everywhere, comfy couches... overall very posh look and feel.

I wanted to try this out since I've been wanting a wardrobe refresh, specifically around my wear-to-work clothing. I work in a casual workplace, and tend to lean more casual. I find myself wearing jeans and a t-shirt pretty often throughout the week, and wanted a few pieces to 'adult' it up every now and then. The process was very cool - I walked in, was promptly directed to the bar (for a prosecco), and my stylist found me and ushered me to my own fitting room area with a rack full of clothes. If there's a Trunk Club clubhouse near you, I highly recommend trying it out (my referral link here)!

In the end, I spent WAY more than I expected (my fault, since I set the price limits at the start...), but am so pleased with my new pieces. A lot the headache of pulling clothes in my size, assessing whether something looked better on the hanger vs. on me, and walking around in a shop looking at clothes that ultimately were not my style... all eliminated. The nice thing as well as that they offer free tailoring - so all my pants were able to be hemmed to my inseam.


Over the holidays, I only shopped 1 Black Friday sale: Grana's 50% off sale, which was insane. Website was SUPER laggy, but managed to snag a bunch of their silk tops, which continue to be amazing for the price. I have 2 silk long sleeve tops already from Grana, which are my ~client meetings~ shirts. That sale is long gone by now, but shop my referral link for 10% off (PS - referrals through this link net me some Grana credit).

Grana Silk V-Neck Camisole (xs) - these have been really cute under cardigans and blazers, half tucked in to jeans. I can see these having a lot of mileage in the summer. Haven't figured out the whole ~bra~ situation with these camisoles, so I've just been wearing cute bralettes underneath which seem marginally more put together than a straight up bra. 

Grana Silk Long Sleeve (xs) - workhorses in my professional wardrobe. I have a white blouse in the same style already, but I wear them so much I wanted a back up (and at 50% off...). I also grabbed a black blouse as well. I love these since there is a pleat to hide the buttons, which makes it infinitely more work appropriate. 

Overall - spent a nauseating amount of money on clothes the past 3 months, but I'm really pleased to upgrade my Old Navy jeans to some nicer ones, add a non-black blazer to my work wardrobe, and some more silk tops. My new year's goal was to age up my work wardrobe with the new promotion, new role at work, etc and Trunk Club was really able to help! 

What are your sartorial goals for 2018?

Comments

  1. Thanks! Yes, I'd love to try them out again. This time around, I really wanted to find something to add to the basics I already had for work (silk blouses, skirts, dresses). That, and I really wanted a pair of jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that work is going well!

    I have been intrigued by the Trunk Club concept - for my needs, it seems like the most likely to work of any of those styling services, since they pull from Nordstrom's stock. Out of the online-based styling services, I've only tried shopping (at an in-person session) from MM.LaFleur, which is pretty different because they only sell their own brand. I did find myself spending a bit more than I wanted, and maybe feeling a teeny bit of pressure to, say, buy two items or three items instead of just the one or two I was sure about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious, do you just toss those grana silk shirts into the washer? Because the brand recommended dry clean, which is something I would never consider for everyday wear, and I've ruined a few silk shirts in the past though I was already handwashing using baby shampoo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts